Ogregaming is moving to a new host

Ogregaming is moving to a new host

Postby Kannkor » 29 May 2014, 17:39

A short history lesson...

Previous to now, I have been using Dreamhost's shared hosting services. Basically to try to keep costs of maintaining Ogrebot as low as possible. Unfortunately, you usually get what you pay.
This means some times DH (dreamhost) goes down, they run excessively slow, and have limited configuration options, because it's shared hosting.

For when Dh goes down, a friend set up a backup authentication server for me on his server.

After having enough problems and annoyances, I've decided to start moving to my own dedicated box.

In an effort to have no negative impact to anyone, I'm keeping both servers, and slowly moving things from DH to Dedi. During this transition, redirects will be happening. For example, if you look at your URL, you'll notice you're not on 'forums.ogregaming.com' anymore, you're on 'forums.troll.ogregaming.com'. (Yes, the new server has been called troll).

If you notice you're on the subdomain of troll.ogregaming.com, rest assured, you're still on ogregaming.com, you're just connecting to the new hosting.

From a user point of view, nothing should really change at all. I plan to have the new system set up for authentication etc, and tested internally and with a small group of users before it goes live.

The 'end' goal of all this, is to have a much higher quality server that ogregaming.com runs on, while still having a backup (at DH) incase the server goes down. And maybe even a third auth server still at my friends server. Other than completely unforeseen issues, this should mean you won't ever have any authentication issues. Oh, and the forums/wiki/authentication will run about 100 times faster.

-Kannkor
Kannkor

Re: Ogregaming is moving to a new host

Postby Kannkor » 16 Jul 2014, 12:16

Last night, deployed some new paypal handling code.

There were a few issues, they seem to be completely resolved, and the worst of it was, a few people who renewed their subscriptions didn't get an email saying they renewed directly from me. They still got an email from paypal directly, and their accounts were properly updated.

As always, if you have any issues or problems with billing/payment, send me an email and I'll get it resolved ASAP.

-Kannkor
Kannkor

Return to Announcements