Hiding Effects - Clean up your maintained window!

free(?!) clues!

Hiding Effects - Clean up your maintained window!

Postby Kannkor » 31 Dec 2016, 10:55

The maintained window can only show 30 effects. It has a ton of various effects in it. Such as group buffs, single target buffs, some procs, your mount etc.

Now, you have to be careful what you do with this window. As OgreBot needs to be able to read some of this information, but some of it can be hidden.

Why does it matter if it fills up?
There's a few reasons. Some from a bot point of view, and some from a player point of view. Lets look at the most important.. clearly the bot.
For some fights (or maybe only guardians?), they have an melee immunity buff for as long as they don't cast offensive abilities. If that buff is not being displayed because you have a full maintained window, the bot can't see it, and will just cast away, removing the immunity. Sad panda.
Many classes have increment buffs. Such as Warlocks, where they cast and build increments, then when they hit max (180), you cast a super unholy nuke of doom. If your maintained window is full, you won't be able to see these increments, and will never cast one of if not their best nuke.

What can I not remove?
You can't remove buffs with concentration costs.
You can't remove buffs that don't appear in your effects window (remember, we're talking about Maintained window here). Some classes have buffs that put things into your maintained but not into your effects, so they can't be hidden. Defilers are REALLY bad for this - Invective and Tendrils of Horror. Each of these will put 1 buff into your maintained each, per mob. So if you were fighting 5 mobs, you'll have up to 10 buffs go into your maintained you can't hide.
You can't hide dots. Ogre needs to know if a dot is on that mob.

What should I not remove for OgreBot?
Information that OgreBot will require. Such as, increments abilities.
Single target buffs. Ogre has to know who these are cast on.
Anything you may want OgreBot to cancel, for any reason. Such as Singluar focus.

What should I not remove for myself?
These are my opinion, feel free to hide them if you wish.
Fighter stances. I like to be able to see at a glance what stance I'm in.
Mounts. I like to be able to ensure my mount is still cast.
Limited use abilities. Singular focus. This one is deadly to be left on, so seeing it at a glance is pretty important.

Utilizing Ogre HideEffects.
I wrote a script, OgreHideEffects. It goes through all 26 classes, and will hide effects that I believe are 'safe' to be hidden, and that most players would want to be hidden. This is just a good starting point and will help hide some effects for everyone.
To use this script:
Code: Select all
ogre hideeffects

Ogrebot must be running (it can be paused).
I recommend you run it while UNGROUPED. This way it won't take very long and it can see all of your effects.
Generally speaking you need to have Spell Filtering Enabled, but this script will enable it if you do not have it enabled already.

Fine tuning.
As you watch your maintained, you will see various things pop up in there you just don't care about. Some procs from weapons will show up there. The best thing to do, is while fighting a training dummy, once it procs, in your EFFECTS window, right click and 'Hide Effect'. You can hide up to 50 effects, to keep the maintained window low.

Ooooops.
Okay, so you made a mistake and have now hidden an effect you want/need. It's easy to fix.
You have two options, remove your mistake, or completely start over.
The following are EQ2 in-game commands. Type them into the game chat window.

To see everything you have hidden:
/hidden_effects list
- Lists currently hidden effects along with an ID.

To delete an ability.
/hidden_effects delete [id]
- Removes the specified effect from the list. The ID comes from the list above.

Screw it, start over. Clear it all.
/hidden_effects clear
- Removes all effects from the list.
Kannkor

Re: Hiding Effects - Clean up your maintained window!

Postby GamerMac » 01 Jan 2017, 09:06

Do we need to run this everyone time we log in .. or just once?
GamerMac

Re: Hiding Effects - Clean up your maintained window!

Postby Kannkor » 01 Jan 2017, 09:30

GamerMac wrote:Do we need to run this everyone time we log in .. or just once?

Just once per character. They are saved server (eq2) side.
Kannkor

Return to Guides & Strats