[Guide] Character Maintenance - Stacking equipment procs

free(?!) clues!

[Guide] Character Maintenance - Stacking equipment procs

Postby Kannkor » 27 Nov 2015, 19:48

With ToT, it seems all weapons now have some sort of proc on them. There is no indication on if any of these effects stack, or how they stack.
Here is a basic example of what I'm talking about: http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/770120325
The effect I'm going to look at and test is 'Blackanvil Strike'.

I heard tons of rumours, like...
  • They don't stack
  • Having more than one increases proc rate
  • Having more than one increases the damage on the proc
  • Having more than one lets them independently proc
  • Having more than one lets them independently proc - exception: only one can proc at a time

Well, that about covers every possible scenario, which doesn't really help make any kind of informed decision.

The best way to do make an informed decision, is to not believe anyone and test yourself. Here are a few ways to test.
  • Best: Reset your AA's to 0. Remove all buffs, remove all gear (except for the weapon(s) you are testing), remove all adorns from the weapons you are testing.
  • Good: Remove all gear (except for the weapon(s) you are testing). Remove adorns that effect proc rate (relentless conviction).
  • Bad: Just remove the piece of gear you don't want in the parse. Don't even bother ungrouping!

For my tests, because I started the tests before writing this... oops. I did the following:
No group.
No gear.
No adorns.
No buffs.
I didn't reset my AA.
All parses are as close to 10 minutes as possible.
You have to do all tests using the same character. There are just too many other variables if you're trying to test any other factors. I did this test on two different characters, but only comparing the results against the same character tests.
In a perfect world, you do these tests multiple times to rule out any streaks of RNG. But you can usually get a 'general' idea from 1 test.
All tests were using autoattack only, using a solo training dummy that is immune.

The Tests:
Test 1: 1x Blackanvil proc. (1 primary weapon)
ToonA: 76 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 148k
ToonA: 90 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 175k (I had a second weapon unrelated to blackanvil equipped by mistake... but thought the datapoint was worth adding).
-----------
ToonB: 49 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 96k
ToonB: 55 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 107k

Test 2: 2x Blackanvil proc. (1 primary weapon + 1 ranged weapon)
ToonA: 178 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 341k
----------
ToonB: 158 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 310k
ToonB: 152 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 297k

Test 3: 3x Blackanvil proc.
ToonA: ToonA only has 2... so no datapoint!
-----------
ToonB: 269 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 524k
ToonB: 265 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 518k (See Modified test 3)

Modified Test 3: I had to afk and when I got back it had been 14 minutes.
ToonB: 265 procs. Damage per proc: 1,179,072. DPS: 518k
** The Math behind it: 371 procs / 14 minutes = 26.5 procs per minute * 10 = 265 procs in a 10 minute period.

The results:
It's quite clear these procs do stack in some way.
It's also clear the damage never increases.
The last thing to check, is can two of these procs proc at the exact same time.
-Look at Test1 - Just to confirm no proc 'double casted' (which shouldn't be possible, but just confirm).
-Look at Test3, where we had all 3 on. If more than one can proc, at least once we should see 2 procs. And if RNG was in our favour, we may even see all 3 proc on the same second. Sure enough, I had a lot of double procs, and a couple of triple procs!
Technically we should run these tests more times (like 10 each), and maybe for longer, such as an hour each. This would give more accurate results, but for me, there is enough data here for me to make an educated conclusion.

My conclusion:
Weapon procs are individually determined, and have no impact on any other weapon proc, even if named the same.
This means having 3 of the same proc is acceptable, and all proc independently, and can proc at the same time.
There are however, some things to keep in mind, this conclusion is for DIRECT DAMAGE procs only. If you have a proc that is a DoT, I bet we'd see different results. I believe it would overwrite itself each time it proc'd. Someone can test if they feel inclined!
If we refer back to what I said earlier in this post...
The best way to do make an informed decision, is to not believe anyone and test yourself

That means you should test this yourself! :)
Kannkor

Return to Guides & Strats